Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Hemp Protein Cacao Smoothie with Flaxseeds + Dates


This hemp protein cacao smoothie with flaxseeds + dates is one of my absolute favorites.  It fills me up for hours and actually tastes great.  Before I figured this combo out, I'd constantly be making smoothies and only drinking some before dumping the rest out because none of them tasted this good.  I'll usually have this after a 6 a.m. yoga or spin class, when I'm hungry (but not that hungry) and feeling all kinds of responsible since I just exercised and all. 

If you haven't tried unsweetened cashewmilk in your smoothies yet, you need to!  Way better than almond milk in my opinion, and it basically tastes as close to regular ol' milk as you can get.  I know some people prefer the taste of almond milk, but I always choose cashewmilk because it's creamier and milder tasting, and I can even use it in my cereal!  I've also always loved dates and the fact that I can sweeten my smoothies with them -- and it's my firm belief that two Medjool dates will act as a natural thickening agent, no Xantham gum needed!




I choose hemp protein because it's easier to digest (for me) and doesn't compete with other flavors. Hemp protein's also a good source of fiber and magnesium.  Cacao powder is a great source of antioxidants, too, and, quite honestly, I can't even really tell the difference between it and Hershey's powder.  And I'm always hearing great things about flax/chia, so I like that I can get a blend of the two from Carrington Farms.

Top that bad boy off with some guilt-free/fat-free Reddi Whip + sprinkle some sweet cacao nibs on top and you've got yourself a hemp protein cacao smoothie ➳➳ enjoy!


Here's what I used:
Directions:
  • Pour 3/4 to 1 cup ice in your blender of choice (I use a Blendtec)
  • Pour 8 ounces of Unsweetened Cashewmilk over your ice
  • Add 1 rounded/heaping dessert spoon of hemp protein powder
  • Add 1 rounded teaspoon of cacao powder
  • Add 1 rounded teaspoon of flaxseed (I use a flax chia blend, more superfood bang for your buck!)
  • Add 1 medium to large banana
  • Add 2 Medjool dates (remove the pits, if any!)
  • Select the "smoothie" function if using a Blendtec (or blend on medium/high until you reach a smooth consistency if you're not using a Blendtec)
  • Top with Fat-Free Reddi Whip (optional)
  • Top with sweet cacao nibs (optional -- the regular nibs have a slightly bitter taste)
xo, Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment