Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Frolicking in NYC

I was in New York City last week for Evan's sister's NYU graduation.  We flew out of SFO on Tuesday and came back Sunday.  I'm usually really happy with Virgin America, but I think that's because I only used to ever fly with them out of LAX.  Flying with them out of SFO was a pain.  Both flights (going to and from NYC) were delayed, and not for acceptable reasons in my opinion. 

They said SFO was doing maintenance on one of their runways and that delays were due to FAA regulations.  It's not that I didn't believe them, I just think they knew in advance and could've communicated the departure times better.  But hey, at least I wasn't dragged off the plane 😉

We got in late Tuesday night, and Wednesday and Thursday were NYU graduation days.  I'm proud to say we spotted Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino coming out of Radio City Musical Hall on Thursday.  My girlfriend Lauren knew we were staying in Times Square and texted me before I'd even heard about the crash that killed 1 person and injured 22 others.  I said a prayer and thanked my lucky stars that I was okay in that moment.  



Friday's breakfast at our hotel was the perfect start to our day.  I was feeling all sorts of under the weather, likely from being on a plane and somehow I'd hurt my neck, but the fact that we could just go downstairs to have breakfast was clutch.  



I went to UC Berkeley for my undergrad so I just knew I had to pop into by Chloe.  I graduated in 2008 and if I'm not mistaken, I think Chloe Coscarelli graduated in 2009.  She's an award-winning Vegan author and chef, and her by Chloe casual restaurants are just perfect.  I had the guac burger and it totally hit the spot. 

When we got back to our hotel, we stopped by the concierge desk just to see if any Broadway show tickets were available.  Seriously, I hadn't even planned on asking, but suddenly it hit me that we were basically staying right next door and there's no time like the present.  I know everyone's big into Hamilton these days, and don't get me wrong, I fully intend on seeing it -- but just when it becomes normal-people prices.  I'd seen Phantom of the Opera at the Pantages and Wicket at the Orpheum, so I asked if they could find us tickets to The Lion King. Concierge woman took a liking to me and my goofy ways and...ta da!...The Lion King tickets were procured.  


I know there's a Broadway show ticket lottery you can enter (daily, maybe?) to get discounted tickets, but I'm glad we did it this way.  We'd just been busy and, at least when we were there, it was hot and crowded in NYC and I couldn't imagine going back on a daily basis to save some money.  I could be eating my words if it's a lot of money, but in this case we had a lot of commitments and time was of the essence.  


We had tickets to the 2 p.m. showing and I was ecstatic.  I love a good matinee because I don't like eating dinner at 10 p.m. (what are we, in Argentina?), and I also don't like feeling like I have to rush at dinner to make an 8 p.m. show.  The matinee lets you have dinner afterward, at your leisure, and I'm big into leisure #foreverleisurely


The show was amazing and the money we spent on slightly marked up tickets was well worth it.  When I got back to work, I told one of my friends that I saw my first ever show on Broadway and she was shocked.  Turns out, she thought any Broadway show was "seeing a show on Broadway," and didn't realize that seeing a show not on Broadway in NYC is considered off Broadway, ha 😎


At this point I was really tired so we decided to have an early bird dinner in the Theater District.  We went to a little spot called B Squared, the sister restaurant of B Side Pizza & Wine Bar.  I'm now a huge fan because (a) we were seated right away, (b) service was delightfully attentive but not annoying, and (c) the food + drinks were well priced and absolutely scrumptious.  Behold, 🍻🍕🍝


We had the Black Duck Porter, though I'm not sure that it's still on their menu.  I'd venture to say they rotate their selection somewhat frequently, but feel free to ask your server for a recommendation or taste of something.  


We got their housemade rigatoni (big fan of the bread crumbs) and roasted broccolini to start. 


And we finished off with their carbonara pizza, sans pancetta because #veg.  We then walked around until my dad's best friend's daughter met up with us for some dessert at Schmackary's.  The story here is kind of random -- my dad grew up in Iran and his best friend now lives in Stockholm; best friend's daughter, whom I'd never met before, is completing an internship in NYC.  My dad's best friend commented on my check-in at The Lion King that I should text his daughter, so I did!  Anyway, she was an absolute sweetheart and I'm glad we could meet up with her, even if we couldn't hang very long since we had an early flight home the next day.


And with that, I'll leave you with this iPhone shot from an earlier night when Evan and I hung out with my girlfriend Lauren on her rooftop in Williamsburg.  Parting is seriously such sweet sorrow but there's no place like home!

xo, Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment